Author Topic: Howto: Vivi nova atomiser v2 rebuild  (Read 46467 times)

ghoti

• Forum Host
  • Twizzled Vaper
  • Liked: 823
  • Likes Given: 942
Re: Howto: Vivi nova atomiser v2 rebuild
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
just to add my 1.8 and 2.8 premade short wicks were bad. my own 2.9 beats them both.

Woohoo - welcome to the rebuilding club shaggy - you are now a full member!
I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own :)

shaggy

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »
lol, its stil not touching my rda tho mate. m thinking how I can mod the thing to somehow fee the coil from inside the chamber. I've got one idea but need to get hold of something that can cut the attie heads height by 50% oh god, I don't want to turn into a modder!!!

R1samo

• Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »
Had my first go at rebuilding atty this morning
When I took old head apart the wick insulating sleeve fell apart into two halves, was it this that was causing the itchy throat feeling.
Rebuilt without sleeve making sure wires didn't touch the body of atty head and checked resistance when all together
No shorts so put tank together and filled with juice
Just had my first session trying it and works fine, no itchy throat
Thanks ghoti for the guide it's the business
vaping since Feb 2012
Never looked back
Never felt better

ghoti

• Forum Host
  • Twizzled Vaper
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
No worries R1samo :) glad it was helpful.

I keep meaning to try replacing the insulation sleeve with 2 pieces of 1mm wick tied either side of the coil - I figure that might also help prevent shorts... but I dont seem to get through atties like I used to before I rebuilt them :)

I just replaced one this morning, so when I rebuild that I'll try my "improvised" insulation to see if that works.

Thanks for the feedback!

barry_s11

• Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
Hi Ghoti,

What a wonderful tutorial this is  :thumbs: - I really wish this had been available when I first tried to rebuild these ubiquitous atties, it would have made life a whole lot easier.

I used the video I found here on the forum, plus advice from Vapn, and rebuilt using 4 strands of thin wick, and 6 turns of 0.2 wire.

Now I don't have a meter, so have no idea exactly what the output is but, from using them, I would guess they're somewhere around 2.4 ohms (but I wouldn't and couldn't swear to it).

I've rebuilt 6 or 7 now, and they've all performed perfectly on my Legend - so far.

However, I shall incorporate some of your tips in the next batch, as they will probably improve them further.

Many, many thanks!

Barry
Don't touch that, or you'll ... oh now look!

shaggy

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »
Had my first go at rebuilding atty this morning
When I took old head apart the wick insulating sleeve fell apart into two halves, was it this that was causing the itchy throat feeling.
Rebuilt without sleeve making sure wires didn't touch the body of atty head and checked resistance when all together
No shorts so put tank together and filled with juice
Just had my first session trying it and works fine, no itchy throat
Thanks ghoti for the guide it's the business ߑ͊

Guess what? I had exactly the same, sleeve fell apart, used magnifier to get real tight coils using one of those handy tools with two croc clups on arms and voila, its performing better than anything.

I've made a metal disc now with a hole in the middle that could go into the tank. my aim is to make two compartments in the tank, the bottom for the juice and the top for an exposed coil so it doesn't have to be so small with two holes for wick to go into the juice. I'm thinking maybe a mod s a realistic prospect after all.

ghoti

• Forum Host
  • Twizzled Vaper
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »
barry_s11 - glad even an experienced builder gets something from this, mind I owe you for that wonderful tip about nail varnish ;) (The missus isn't so happy about it however  :laugh: )

I would suggest buying a cheap £5 multimeter or similar, just so you can check if it is shorting, once or twice I have had it short after assembly, and I always like to check that I'm safe - not to mention save you time taking it apart again the odd time its gone iffy (as things tend to do).

Wish I could take credit for all the tips involved - but I just collected all the ones I found and used some of my electrical assembly experience for the rest and took lots of photos - as all the videos I had seen were missing at least one or two of the important bits - my favourite part being the twisting of the legs to lower resistance - at least if I can stop others making the mistakes I made at first then Im happy - and Im always looking to learn better ways - so if anyone reading this has any more tips - please share!

shaggy - Im starting to get really curious as to what you're up to now... I have been running the mod idea round in my head for a while now but seems you have beaten me to it :) still - all advances for the vaping world are for the better :D maybe I should visit Swansea and learn from you instead!

shaggy

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »
lol, its still hit and miss and if this metal disc plate will work then the liquid capacity will probably be down to about 2ml. the only thing I have to work out is how to prevent liquid leakage from the bottom to the top through the two wicking holes. a second disc to go on top of the attie compartment could be needed too.

maybe I need to check out how other tanks are constructed. cheating I know but seing as I've gone this far, it might just be worth it.

R1samo

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
Shaggy
  Have a look at this
It's a review of the new smoktech rebuildable  tank. It gets slated in the review but maybe you could get se ideas from it as it sounds just like what your trying to build
A PBusardo Review - Smoktech Vivi Rebuildable Tank
vaping since Feb 2012
Never looked back
Never felt better

shaggy

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
ghoti, I put this link up before mate. I don't want to create this cos a lot of peoplemare starting to review with negative views. why I don't know because in theory, it looks identical to anotjer tank I've seen. I'm seeing a friend tomorrow who has all the tools and he is interested in my project. I shall show him other examples and; f this can be done, he will be able to see it. the new worry I have os the other cheap tank available, its similar again to the one in the video but people are havingthe same issues. I did but this companies dripper attie and it is superb.

if I do find it can work, I wonder if lisa would test it and stock it lol although due to copyright etc, it would probably have to be completey remade. this friend of mine said he would be able to knock them out if there was demand feom his workshop at home.

R1samo

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
Sorry shaggy my bad !!!!!!!!!
Was trying to find the link on here so I could tell you where it was. Had I found it I'd have seen that it was you that posted it.
 Sorry again and good luck with the shaggy soaker tank
vaping since Feb 2012
Never looked back
Never felt better

shaggy

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
Sorry shaggy my bad !!!!!!!!!
Was trying to find the link on here so I could tell you where it was. Had I found it I'd have seen that it was you that posted it.
 Sorry again and good luck with the shaggy soaker tank ߑ͊

sorry mate, I thought ghoti done the last post lol.
now that's a good name.... the shaggy soaker tank. I nearly dropped my android tablet laughing so hard.

shaggy

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »
No worries R1samo :) glad it was helpful.

I keep meaning to try replacing the insulation sleeve with 2 pieces of 1mm wick tied either side of the coil - I figure that might also help prevent shorts... but I dont seem to get through atties like I used to before I rebuilt them :)

I just replaced one this morning, so when I rebuild that I'll try my "improvised" insulation to see if that works.

Thanks for the feedback!

ooh, just seen a closeup on the new heads and I can't see any insulation. is this an improvement I wonder? have people been saying about burnt taste etc. got to get a look at these bad guys to see what's going on.

ghoti

• Forum Host
  • Twizzled Vaper
Technical Update: Howto: Vivi nova atomiser v2 rebuild
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »
Hi all,

Since writing this howto, I have been on another adventure. I have been playing with all sort of different ways of rebuilding and also have started to get a "funky" taste from some of my VN heads.

Just to put a few things in perspective, for all the above I am using Ego-T and Ego-C batteries only, no VV or high voltage devices. I am also using only my DIY juice, which is 65/30/5 PG/VG/Vodka (Flavour I am using is PG based and included in the PG part of the ratio. I don't want to discuss juices here, just giving my test base for those that care about test conditions ;) )

On newly rebuild heads I was getting a nice flavour and plenty of vapour at first, but after the flavour dropped off, I rebuilt them.

My favourite atty style is 6 wraps of 0.15mm nichrome wire from the c9v store (Counted from the top as number of times it crosses the wick). Legs are double twisted as above in the tutorial.

As I was getting a funky taste, I decided to build 2 atties of equal resistance (2.7ohm measured as in the tank ready to fit) I thought I would try removing the insulating caps, as I suspected they might be to blame (Some similiar material I tried as a replacement also gave off a similiar taste when heated).

I used 2 methods:

Method 1: Made the coil as normal, but tied some 1mm wick with a granny knot next to the coil, looped it under the coil and half hitched it to the other side. Then stuffed the lot (carefully) into a VN tank. Measured and tested 2.7ohm assembled.

Method 2: Made the coild as normal, left all insulation out and carefully inserted into a second VN tank. Measured and tested as 2.7ohms assembled.

Results (My wife kindly acted as an independent judge to verify my findings):
Method 1 - slightly more vapour from the extra wick around the coil - slightly tighter draw
Method 2 - better throat hit and better flavour, but slightly less vapour

Thoughts:
Method 1 - slightly more robust and less prone to shorting as coil is insulated physically from the atty assembly, possibly better for out and about / tank cleaning and removal.

Method 2 - better vaping, but less robust with regards to knocks/shocks and tank removal, until further tests are carried out, I will be watching it carefully for any signs of shorting.

Final comments:
I use a VN as my only vape all day, and generally stick to just the one flavour all the time, so I have become used to it and its quite good for comparisons. I have only used one atty at a time, and never clean it - once the flavour is gone I rebuild. I tend to keep it as upright as I can, just cos Im not sure about leaking through the top, but have never had this happen unless I have over filled it. Generally I find that filling to just below the wick (for longer wicks) or keeping it below the atty line is good for preventing flooding and provides a nice consistant vape. Using a longer wick means more draws before wick wetting is needed, but means that you can't fill the tank quite as high. For reference, the bottom of my wicks generally tend to touch the sides just around the 2.10ml marking.

Hope this is of help/interest to some of you - sorry I can't be bothered to post pictures today, but if interest is there, I can do diagrams/pictures on request.

As always, please let me know any of your problems/experiences as I'm trying to learn all I can about this fab piece of kit (I now have 2 large VN tanks, and the missus has a large and a small - guess who does all the rebuilding ;) and the friend who converted me to vaping has also got me to order 2 for him - big thumbs up all around).

BAzz

• Google+
  • Liked: 559
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Does whatever kit you're using allow the use of stainless steel mesh wicks? If so, give it a try.

I never had very consistent or long-lasting results from the few devices I've had that used fibreglass wicks.

It's one of the reasons that I only use genesis-type atomisers now, or direct dripping.