Author Topic: Howto: Vivi nova atomiser v2 rebuild  (Read 46244 times)

ghoti

• Forum Host
  • Twizzled Vaper
  • Liked: 823
  • Likes Given: 942
Howto: Vivi nova atomiser v2 rebuild
« on: August 04, 2012, 12:03:34 AM »
Hi,

I have rebuilt quite a few of these, so I thought I would share some photos to help others who would like to do the same.

There is also an alternate version here: http://www.c9v-forum.com/rebuildables-genesis-talk/vivi-nova-rebuild-howto-(new-version)/

For this rebuild, I am using the following supplies:

Nichrome wire 0.15mm (available from the c9v store)
2mm wick (available from the c9v store)
Vivi Nova v2 atomiser (available from the c9v store)

and the following tools (anything marked * is VERY important, anything else is down to individual preference)
Multimeter *
Thin needle *
Forceps x2 (Long nose pliers also work well, but I like the locking action of forceps)
Nail clippers
Scissors (don't forget to ask a grown-up for help  ;) )

Step 1:

Obtain an atty that you wish to rebuild. Here I'm using a new one as I prefer a longer wick than comes with the stock version.

Step 2:

Take off the cover from the top of the atomiser

Step 3:

Remove the metal pin from the bottom

Step 4:

Remove the silicon seal from the base of the atomiser (Careful not to squeeze too tightly, you need this in one piece and undamaged later)

Step 5:

Remove the coil assembly from the atomiser body

Step 6:

Remove the insulating sleeve from the coil (be gentle as you will need this again later). It is split on the top, so you can pull the coil out through the top.

Step 7:

Cut some new wick, I use about 2 inches, as it holds together better, but as you gain practice, you can use shorter pieces as preferred

Step 8:

Insert a needle through the middle of the wick. Don't worry about how deep it is into the wick, the needle is only used to add stability during wrapping. As long as it is inside the wick - its fine.

Step 9:

Fold about 1 inch of the nichrome wire back on itself, and twist it tightly. Try to get it as tight as possible, without breaking the wire. I also grip the wick and needle with forceps as shown to keep it all together.

Step 10:

Holding the twisted piece of wire, with the top of the twist level with the wick, wrap 6 coils around the wick(This gives me 2.4-2.8ohms according to how tightly I wrap) more coils=more resistance (or try thinner/thicker wire as you prefer). Try to get it as tight as possible, and the coils as close as possible (but not touching - you can always adjust later with a needle if they are touching).

Step 11:

Cut the wire about 2 inches from the coil, fold it back on itself, then twist as tight as you can without breaking the wire. If any wire sticks out over the top of the coil, trim with a nailclippers. The idea here is for the legs to be twisted,doubled wire and the coil to be single strand wire. As you get more experience, you can work with shorter and shorter legs on the coil.

Step 12:

Insert the legs of the coil through the insulating sleeve, and fit the wick into the holes. Make sure the coil is nicely centred, and now is also a good time to recheck the coils aren't touching. Also make sure to keep the legs apart and not allow them to get twisted together. [Edit:- Due to further testing, it seems that it might be a good idea to leave the insulating sleeve out - but remember to pull the legs tight when rebuilding if you choose to do so, and make sure you are careful when handling the atty, and always retest with a multimeter to make sure you don't short or kill your battery, omit at your own discretion, but be warned, omitting it while improving the flavour, also increases the likelihood of killing your battery]

Step 13:

Insert the coil assembly into the atomiser body, again keeping the legs apart.

Step 14:

Pull down gently on the legs, and at this point I put the top on to hold it all in place.

Step 15:

Put the silicon seal back in, with one wire at the side, and 1 through the hole in the middle, then bend the side wire to the side. This is the ground connection for the atomiser coil.

Step 16:

Carefully insert the metal pin into the centre of the silicon seal. This is the positive connection for the atomiser coil.

Step 17:

Measure the resistance with a multimeter as shown, with one probe in the centre peg, and one on the atomiser body. For reference mine is reading 2.4ohms. You might want to measure the probes of the multimeter to see if they give any error... mine gives 0.1-0.2ohm with the probes touching each other, so deduct this from the final reading.

Step 18:

Trim off the legs of the atomiser coil with the nail clippers, trying to get as close as possible to the atomiser.

Step 19:

Trim the wick to the desired length. This is how I like mine, you might prefer longer or shorter - experiment and have fun.

Step 20:
(No pic yet)
Attach the atomiser to the tank body (without the tube attached) and (carefully) fluff the ends, trying not to pull on the wick.

Step 21:
(No pic yet)
****DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP - IT MAY CAUSE BATTERY FAILURE IF YOU DO****
Attach the tube onto the tank body, then using a multimeter, measure the resistance again (I do this many times from here on in, just to make sure there are no shorts). As long as the resistance is more than just with the atomiser head, all is ok. If the resistance is under the expected amount DO NOT PROCEED UNTIL YOU HAVE REMOVED THE SHORT CIRCUIT by adjusting the coil position with a needle or similiar tool.

Step 22:
(No pic yet)
Fill tank and replace top cap. (Measure again to check for shorts - I always do) Attach to battery and vape! :D

Final thoughts:
I have rebuilt quite a few this way (some more than once) and it works for me every time. I also find the taste improves for the first day, then slowly drops away, once it has lost taste, I just rebuild the atty again.

I hope this is of help to people, as always comments appreciated and any tips welcomed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:20:15 PM by ghoti »
I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own :)

eGo-Centric

• My camera always lies ;-)
    • Steam-e
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Howto: Vivi nova atomiser v2 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 12:29:30 AM »
Hi Ghoti (Fish...?).

Really impressed with your pictorial demonstration and got to be honest, it's better reference than even the vids I've watched of the process. I'll be having a go at following your directions at some point because I want to crack every nut this vaping lark has to offer - but not just yet because I've locked horns with DIY mixing at the moment.

Also, if I was still in my native South Wales, I'd meet up for a vaping chat with you around Newport (as you mentioned in another post on the forum, which led me to this one) - haven't been there for a few years now. :)
Taste is the new tobacco...!

Carol_Scot

• Forum Host
  • NAME YOUR PV {{ HAPPY VAPING }}
  • Liked: 933
  • Likes Given: 3799
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:55:44 AM »
wwwhhhoo cool
i will give this a go when i got time, and let you know what its like

Carol
BILLETBOX's V1.1  :) Dingo , iTaste V3  , Provari Mini V2 & Prive Tank

vapn

• Administrator
  • Tech Support
    • Crème de Vape
  • Liked: 2583
  • Likes Given: 1417
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:47:51 AM »
EXCELLENT How-To ghoti! Thank you very much for taking the time to demonstrate this.....

"Making Vaping a Breeze Since 2009"

LisaF01

• Administrator
    • Crème de Vape
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:50:07 AM »
This will be super-helpful for so many people, ghoti, thanks for posting  :thumbs: :thumbs:

ceekay27

• Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »
This is excellent Ghoti ;) I was doubling the legs on mine, so when
Ive got a spare head I might try again. Thanks ;)

My name's Julie and I'm a vapaholic!

ghoti

• Forum Host
  • Twizzled Vaper
  • Liked: 823
  • Likes Given: 942
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 09:54:52 AM »
Thanks for your kind words ego-Centric (yes you pronounced it right), vapn, Carol and Lisa!
I felt it was due as I've taken so much time posting about how easy it was, I had to do a howto to put my money where my mouth was :)

Not to mention its awesome to be able to buy the atomiser *AND* the rebuild kit from the same shop :D

@ ceekay - doubling is good, unless you mean untwisted doubling?
I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own :)

Carol_Scot

• Forum Host
  • NAME YOUR PV {{ HAPPY VAPING }}
  • Liked: 933
  • Likes Given: 3799
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
Let me know what you think Julie when you do it again
I give it a go next weeK
I have some wire here and wick but i not sure what it is but i get some on my next order

carol
BILLETBOX's V1.1  :) Dingo , iTaste V3  , Provari Mini V2 & Prive Tank

ceekay27

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
@ ceekay - doubling is good, unless you mean untwisted doubling?

Sorry I should check my typing before I post it  :-[
It should have read I wasn't doubling the legs over,
so I will definitely try that. I also wasn't pushing the needle
through the wick, which is a fantastic idea, I was just holding
the wick against the needle and it was wrapping the coil
round that had me struggling.
I thought I had thrown my used heads away, but Ive just discovered
that they still on the side, lol. But only thing is I dont have the
little heat shields for them. So might wait till I get another one.

rbt9

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »
Hi ghoti,
Thanks for sharing your photos I've been rebuilding my own for sometime but never
thought of doubling the legs over as you demonstrated great pics tutorial got
to agree with eGo-Centric best I've seen so far.

R1samo

• Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »
Excellent post ghoti
Got same wire and wick Friday with a nova also. Only been using nova since Friday so not had to do anything with it yet. Now I've seen your how to I'm almost wishing atty would pack up so I can give it a go lol
vaping since Feb 2012
Never looked back
Never felt better

shaggy

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »
just shorted a head three times, really got to do tight small coil. how I managed to do it before is beyond me, And that's with my glasses on and magnifying glass lol. I'm turning into mr magoo!!!!

ceekay27

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »
Ok did a rebuild, 5 twists on the wire, double twisted legs on the coils,
everything was fine for the first 3 or 4 draws, then crappy taste, and
felt like splinters in my tongue!  :(
I really wanted this to work, it was 2.4ohms by the way on the provari,
so not sure if this may be the wick doing the horrible taste, and 'bad
feeling while vaping' All I know is that I dont get this with the premade heads,
So I think im out of the running for the make your own head group.
Ghoti, the photos were fab, but I just cant keep putting myself through
this torture! lol. To think ive finally done it, I was so excited, and then YUK!
lol..... thanks anyway Ghoti, appreciate the chance to try something new ;)

And hey guys if it works for you, then brilliant. but I will be sticking to pre-made
heads from now on I think ;)

ceekay27

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
just shorted a head three times, really got to do tight small coil. how I managed to do it before is beyond me, And that's with my glasses on and magnifying glass lol. I'm turning into mr magoo!!!!

Hahaha Shaggy!  :lol: mine shorted at first too, get a pin and adjust your wires on the coil,
this worked for me ;)

shaggy

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 11:45:47 PM »
I do ask why I do this to myself lol. I make my own coils for my drip attie and its cheap making my own juice. I think I'm doing this just to show myself I can do it. And I guess once my little girls in bed it helps to fill up some time.

Maybe I should just get a lathe and some other equipment and start making tank mods insted hehehehehe.

Gonna mess my head right up now and try a mesh instead of glass fibre in the tank. mini explosions here I come  ???