Author Topic: different wick materials  (Read 800 times)

colt2442

• Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 90
different wick materials
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »
Hi Folks
Not posted in a while but life is a mad house and getting time to get sat down at pc is at a premium, Ok to the bones of this post.
I do get a bit of time to browse the forum on my phone but its not ideal to post here (fat Finger syndrome lol). Whilst browsing oround the net I noticed alot of our brothers and sisters over the water going on about different wicking materials, hemp, rayon etc, One caught my eye though as its is a totally natural product. That product is Ramie (China Grass.. nope not that type shame on you  lol). some of you may have already tried it. Below are my thoughts on it so far.

For
 you get a lot for your monies worth. Got mine from a UK supplier, but I understand it is for sale in the USA as well.
2 Learning curve for how much to use can be a bit steep but not much different to learning to get the right amount of cotton wool in a coil.
3 Wicks in my opinion very well, running it in a Squape, 1.3 ohm micro coil at 3.6 volts (just under 10 watts) and it wicks really fine no burnt taste or dry hits.
Did try a dry burn with it in and it did eventually burn but it took a lot more punishment then cotton.
4 If you do over pack the wick it is easy to pull a few strands out at a time till you get it right.

Against
1 Preparing this for use is a long drawn out affair, I have seen at least 3 ways of preparing it,
2 If not prepare properly you do get a funky taste.  I could not be bothered so just used it straight from the packet. And oh yeh funky taste alright. But it goes after about a tank tank and a half. next time will just do the boiling and see what does, will do the whole 100 grams (about 4 oz UK).
3 As it stiffens up when wet ( steady boys.....lol) it could be a problem in atties where the wick gets bent. Going to try it in a Kayfun Lite next when I boil it all up. also will not be putting it in the oven to dry (omg the cost ......) will hang it in my airing cupboard to dry out.

The company I got mine from was [Host edit - URL removed] ( hope that does not break any forum rules, if sorreeee).

well thats my 2 pennies worth, as I use it in more atties I will post the results but dont hold ya breath folks, getting time to get on pc is nearly impossible at the moment.

colt

Host Edit:- Sorry Colt, had to remove the url from your post.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:57:05 AM by ghoti »
Still learning, but getting there with the help of well tasty people here
Kit: To much kit...... need to retire some of it lol

colt2442

• Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 90
Re: different wick materials
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »
No probs ghoti, was not sure about it but I knew someone would put me right.

Got 5 mins before bath and bed... bloody hell sound like a naughty kid lol.
OK I said I would report my findings with the Ramie.
1 Prep:
Boiled twice, once with bicarb in it let it roll boil for about 30 mins, drained, rinsed in colander ( large sieve). Boiled again in fresh water same as before.
Then let it air dry over drying rack, as its been so warm dried over night.

2 Use:
Wicked a Kayfun lite up with it 1.5 ohm coil, 5 wraps 30 awg Kanthal at 3.5 volts.
its a bit of a pain to get down chimney into the wells I did this when it was dry, as its easier to do it get a right stiffy on when wet (ffs did I just type that lmfao).
Funky taste gone and I think I might have blocked the juice feeds a bit getting slight burnt taste.

Re-wicked the Squape. Same build as above, also 3.5 volts. Funky taste gone and wicking a treat, seems to be working great in the Squape. Only time will tell, will try it in my Origen V2 and in auto dripper mode on 1 of my gennies. That's all to report so far folks hope its helpful. Further reports to come as and when I get time.

colt
Still learning, but getting there with the help of well tasty people here
Kit: To much kit...... need to retire some of it lol