Author Topic: Cotton Wool  (Read 1443 times)

colt2442

• Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 90
Cotton Wool
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
Hi folks
Still here lol just dont seem to have enough hours in the day.  Anyway on to the point of this post (damm getting as bad as todd for rambling lol. But todd better at it then me) started using cotton wool instead of silica/mesh in my atties. Getting the amount to use takes time to get right. Using cotton in AC9 at the moment 1.5 ohms at 8 watts very nice. Have used in spheroid as well not to impressed but that was probably my building skills, will revisit the Spheroid.  Going to play with the Cobra and DID when I get time, but all in all I am liking cotton as a wick. Works great in drippers, so more fiddling about to come and I will post my opinions/findings here

colt

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Still learning, but getting there with the help of well tasty people here
Kit: To much kit...... need to retire some of it lol

TopCookie

• Liked: 1857
  • Likes Given: 1651
Re: Cotton Wool
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
This is a thread that needs a new lease of life, for sure...  Always going to be an interesting subject, people's choice of cotton/wick material... 

For me, the Japanese "Muji" branded cotton wool pads are my personal favourites and have been for a while, although courtesy of PalmBay (Roy) I now once again have some Cotton Bacon V2 - a cotton I had tried in the past but found that I preferred the Muji...  Trying Cotton Bacon V2 again just recently and I would say that there's little between them really...  Still prefer the Muji, but the margin between them is far smaller than I remember it being...

I recently got a sample of Rayon wicking material, which seems to be very popular with some folks...  I gotta say though, to my palate, Rayon gives a taste that constantly feels like it's teetering right on the edge of burning - but when you pull the wick out, there's no sign of any heat damage...  That's an unpleasant taste in my opinion and one which neither the Muji nor the Cotton Bacon V2 give you... 

Very interested to try the "Fiber Freaks" stuff that's recently been added to the CdeV line up...  that is one that should be pretty good by all accounts... 

TopCookie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 11:48:39 PM »
Just re-wicked the somewhat unruly Indulgence "Mutank" RTA with some "Kendo Vape Cotton"...  Now, this tank can be a SOAB to get right...!!!  Absolutely magnificent with the right build in there AND an ideal wick though...  But get anything even slightly wrong and the Mutank just plain gets naughty on you, either giving an excessively rowdy vape, leaking or dry hitting etc...!!!  This Kendo Vape Cotton is working like a charm in there, with a single coil SS316L build... 

I can't say that I am a huge fan of the KVC stuff, but in certain applications it really is without peer and is certainly working like an absolute dream in the Mutank right now...!!!  :)

TopCookie

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
I'm officially upgrading my opinion on the Kendo Vape Cotton...  Been using it a lot more lately and always seem to get fantastic results...   :thumbs:

vapn

• Administrator
  • Tech Support
    • Crème de Vape
  • Liked: 2585
  • Likes Given: 1423
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »
I'm certainly using it in my drippers, but for tanks I stick with those handy pre-cut FF wicks. They just seem to keep up a lot better in tanks than the KVC does.

"Making Vaping a Breeze Since 2009"

TopCookie

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a record stuck on repeat - most unlike me of course, lol - I've just gotta come back and blow on the Kendo Vape Cotton trumpet more than ever...!!!

My first impressions of KVC were good of course, but that it was slightly awkward to use...  Can be a stubborn ass mofo when trying to get a new wick to absorb juice for the very first time...!!!

BUT...  the more I've been using this stuff, the more it grows on me - this in itself is quite rare for me as I tend to either accept or reject stuff super fast normally...  Performance from KVC is just astonishing and it does take time for its many virtues to become properly apparent...  First of all, flavours when using KVC are probably the best I've ever experienced and I say this after going on missions to try and discover which brands of cotton are the best...  But what is equally remarkable is that it is FAR more burn/singe resistant than other cotton types...  You will all probably have experienced those builds where you have re-wicked an atomiser only for the coil to be briefly starved of juice for whatever reason, and that fresh new wick is effectively ruined within the first few minutes of being done...!!!  That just plain does not happen with KVC...!!!  It copes with that most vulnerable newly wicked period better than anything and does so without ever giving any off flavours etc... 

One thing that seems to emerge over time with KVC is just how much juice it holds, and it is a LOT...!!!  You really do need to compensate for this by using slightly thinner wicks than you would have done with any other cotton as the KVC does swell up and if you over do it, it can then choke off the juice flow to the coil if you're not careful...   Wick those coils up fairly loosely though, and boy this stuff is quite extraordinary in my opinion and is definitely a "must buy" wick material for anybody that uses rebuildable atomisers...  The key though is that you do need to allow yourself some time to get to know it, but once you've sussed it, then it is clearly an exceptional wick material...!!!

In summary:  GET SOME...!!!   :thumbs:   https://www.cremedevape.com/epages/yxve46fvrnud.sf/seca627af1505/?ObjectPath=/Shops/yxve46fvrnud/Products/DIY-KEND