Author Topic: Kanthal Vs Nichrome  (Read 12431 times)

simon

• Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 513
Re: Kanthal Vs Nichrome
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
Didnt think that such a small step would make such a big difference. Thanks to all for the help and advice. My .25 choice is now Nichrome as I like the way it operates and it has a slightly lower resistance than the kanthal....only ever so slight  :)

palmbay

• Liked: 606
  • Likes Given: 815
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 11:39:36 AM »
Great topic, this has given me some great ideas  ;D

palmbay

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 12:31:49 PM »
That has become my "go to" choice of Kanthal now, the 30awg (0.25mm)...  it is cracking gear, eh...   :thumbs:

Soooo  I am trying to think of applications where the thinner wire would be a better bet, and the only reasons I can think of is,

1, if space is limited
2, if you were building duel coils, and that way you get a lower combined resistance

Just thinking out loud, and please feel free to jump in because I am keen to learn  ;D

colt2442

• Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »
30 and 32 gauge kanthal are my main wires, if there is room on the wick I may use 28 gauge but not often cos its got to be s bloody big wick lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Still learning, but getting there with the help of well tasty people here
Kit: To much kit...... need to retire some of it lol

palmbay

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
yes, going to get myself some thicker wire  ;D

Just found some purchased pre made coils in my man drawer.

Took a wrap off, gave them a haircut, stuck it in the kayfun lite, thicker wire is soooo much easier to work with, and got a 2 ohm coil, and yes yes yes

Oh happy days, oh happy days,  sing along, you know the words   :thumbs:

TopCookie

• Liked: 1856
  • Likes Given: 1650
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 01:02:31 AM »
One great advantage with the thicker grades of resistance wire is that they are less prone to breakage by terminal/post screws - which can sheer the thin grades that little bit too easily...

All sorts of other stuff to separate the two of course, just that this is one rarely mentioned advantage with the thicker grades...  :)

simon

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
One thing I have noticed is the resistance takes longer to raise with the thicker wire as well, with the 28 gauge my coil would be at 2.3-2.3 after a couple of weeks. With the 30 gauge it sits around 2-2.2 for the same period of time.

Retrobritt

• Forum Host
  • Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
DO any of you guys have issues with heat up times and heavy battery drain with thicker wires though?

BAzz

• Google+
  • Liked: 559
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
My experience is as follows, make of it as you will.

Thinner wires:  0.15 etc.  Higher resistance, but heat up quickly. For a given resistance you'll use fewer wraps, so less actual heating area.
Thicker wires: 0.25 etc  Lower resistance, slower heating but larger heating area.

Middle ground is 0.20 which I feel is probably good all round.

simon

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 10:02:39 PM »
DO any of you guys have issues with heat up times and heavy battery drain with thicker wires though?

Not noticed a great difference in battery life with the .25 wire myself apart from the 18350, but we are only talking maybe half hour difference in use time.

TopCookie

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »
@ Jonathan

Unquestionably faster drain times with lower resistance builds - which becomes very striking in fact once you start going below that 1.0 ohm point (with a contributory factor being the low capacity of the high output & high drain batteries)...   Can't say that I have picked up any significant difference in battery run times between builds of the same resistance but from different gauges of resistance wire though - but I tend to normally aim for the same number of wraps (typically 4) for each build and select resistance wire gauge accordingly so that the target resistance can be achieved with that number of wraps to the coil...

Retrobritt

• Forum Host
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
My main reason for asking was that I wonder if using thicker wire can mask bad coiling and wick manufacture as it is much harder to pop a coil on thick wire relative to say .15 or .20

TopCookie

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:10 AM »
An interesting point... 

Not sure what the answer would be, to be honest Jonathan...  The thicker gauges do seem to be more resilient, and I would agree that there is probably a slightly longer "heat up" time because of the mass of metal, compared to thinner gauges...

I couldn't say if either one masked inferior wick - due to either build quality or manufacturing quality etc though...

Retrobritt

• Forum Host
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 10:53:45 AM »
An interesting point... 

Not sure what the answer would be, to be honest Jonathan...  The thicker gauges do seem to be more resilient, and I would agree that there is probably a slightly longer "heat up" time because of the mass of metal, compared to thinner gauges...

I couldn't say if either one masked inferior wick - due to either build quality or manufacturing quality etc though...

Ive noticed that in small atties using thicker wire really does not improve vape quality dramatically but increases heat alarmingly  whilst in a genesis style atomiser or a dripper this is not really an issue and can be used to enhance the vaping experience i am wondering that with the tiny chamber size of a kayfun or smaller still in a KF mini whether this is advantageous or even advisable.

TopCookie

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »
The smaller chamber certainly has a direct impact on results with the smaller atties - there's absolutely no doubt about that...  I'm inclined to agree with your observations there Jonathan, too...  Ultra low resistance builds in small atomisers does tend to make things get hot real fast, for sure...  and they just don't seem to thrive on those types of build the same as a physically larger atomiser...