I've been trying out the Vapeonly BCC from Cloud9Vaping over the last week, and thought Id have a go at rebuilding it.
There are other tutorials out there (Ive not actually looked) but here are some tips and things I have found out myself.
This is a great alternative to the Vivi Nova and Ive started using mine quite a lot, and getting a nice vape from it. As with the Vivi, I find my rebuilt heads to be a better vape than the stock ones (This is only my opinion though).
Right first things first... if you're not sure about anything, please ask on this thread, and Ill do my best to help you - if not there are many others who I am sure who can chip in
I would advise reading the whole thread first before doing anything.
Things you will need for this tutorial:
Vapeonly BCC and old/spare head
2mm Silica wick (available from c9v store)
0.2mm Kanthal or 0.15mm Nichrome (Both available from the c9v store) (I use 0.15mm Nichrome in this build)
Pliers (I use crimping pliers, but normal pliers would work ok)
Tweezers/forceps for holding wick while flaming
Gas torch/gas hob or wind-proof lighter
Hair-clip or thick needle/pin
First off get yourself a tray to work over, this will catch the bits and stop them rolling - it will also collect your offcuts of wire and wick.
Ensure you have plenty of light to work with - makes it a lot easier
Right, lets get started!
Get your Vapeonly BCC head, and remove the top silicon seal:
Then grip the base in pliers as shown (Apologies for lack of focus):
If you bend the top tube in the direction of the wick, it should pop out, there are small indents holding it in, so this can be tricky, hence holding it in pliers, but should come out fairly easily in this direction:
You can then remove the metal centre-pin in the base, and the rubber grommet, and have the bits as shown:
Removing the wick and coil, you will find 3x1mm flavour wicks and a 2mm main wick with coil wrapped around it:
Flame some wire using a torch/hob/lighter... This removes any oils etc and helps reduce the springiness of the wire (Im using Nichrome 0.15 here, but 0.2mm Kanthal will also work - your choice):
Flame about an inch (2.5cm) of wick - this removes any contaminants (Holding it in tweezers or forceps):
Holding the wick against the hair-clip (or needle/pin) wrap the wire around it, leaving a tail about an inch (2.5cm) long:
Depending on your wire, you will need 4-6 wraps (counted from the top), evenly spread, leaving a tail on each end (apologies for focus):
Place the coil assembly (with hair-clip/needle attached) in the slot, feeding the legs into the hole and out of the bottom:
Then pop the silicon cap on to hold the wick in place:
Bend one leg over the base, this will be the negative leg:
Insert the silicon grommet, keeping the unbent leg in the middle of it (this will be the positive) and bend that in the opposite direction. Then make sure both the legs are tightly pulled:
Keeping the coil legs taught, insert the centre pin:
Carefully trim the coil legs as short as possible with the nail clippers:
Turn the head the other way up, remove the silicon cap and check the coils are all evenly spaced and not touching the sides, adjust if needed using a toothpick or pointy thing:
Place another length of 2mm Silica wick on top of the coil (apologies for focus) This second wick is important to stop the coil shorting on the top post, it also helps to prevent juice coming up the mouthpiece:
Press the centre tube back into place above the two wicks, until it clicks into place:
Holding one side of the wick tightly, carefully slide out the hairpin or needle:
Trim the wick carefully, so it is short like the stock heads:
Almost done! The head should now look like this:
Fluff up the ends of the wick, this helps to prevent leakage, and also aids in wicking of juice:
Pop the silicon seal back on the head, and voilà! :
You can now measure the resistance in two ways before using this head, either by testing with a multimeter between the base pin and the side of the head, or by putting it into a BCC and using a mod with resistance test function.
I would never advise using an untested head on any mod.... as it may damage the battery.
If you wish to increase or decrease the resistance there are several options:
To lower the resistance, use fewer coils or thicker
To raise the resistance, use more coils or thinner
As always, any questions on a postcard, comments welcome and always get a grown-up to help with the scissors
Hope this is of help to someone!