Author Topic: Vapeonly BCC rebuild guide / thoughts  (Read 6407 times)

ghoti

• Forum Host
  • Twizzled Vaper
  • Liked: 823
  • Likes Given: 942
Vapeonly BCC rebuild guide / thoughts
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
Hi all,

I've been trying out the Vapeonly BCC from Cloud9Vaping over the last week, and thought Id have a go at rebuilding it.

There are other tutorials out there (Ive not actually looked) but here are some tips and things I have found out myself.

This is a great alternative to the Vivi Nova and Ive started using mine quite a lot, and getting a nice vape from it. As with the Vivi, I find my rebuilt heads to be a better vape than the stock ones (This is only my opinion though).

Right first things first... if you're not sure about anything, please ask on this thread, and Ill do my best to help you - if not there are many others who I am sure who can chip in :D I would advise reading the whole thread first before doing anything.

Things you will need for this tutorial:

Vapeonly BCC and old/spare head
2mm Silica wick (available from c9v store)
0.2mm Kanthal or 0.15mm Nichrome (Both available from the c9v store) (I use 0.15mm Nichrome in this build)

Tools:
Nail clippers
Scissors
Pliers (I use crimping pliers, but normal pliers would work ok)
Tweezers/forceps for holding wick while flaming
Gas torch/gas hob or wind-proof lighter
Hair-clip or thick needle/pin

First off get yourself a tray to work over, this will catch the bits and stop them rolling - it will also collect your offcuts of wire and wick.
Ensure you have plenty of light to work with - makes it a lot easier :)

Right, lets get started!

Get your Vapeonly BCC head, and remove the top silicon seal:

Then grip the base in pliers as shown (Apologies for lack of focus):

If you bend the top tube in the direction of the wick, it should pop out, there are small indents holding it in, so this can be tricky, hence holding it in pliers, but should come out fairly easily in this direction:

You can then remove the metal centre-pin in the base, and the rubber grommet, and have the bits as shown:

Removing the wick and coil, you will find 3x1mm flavour wicks and a 2mm main wick with coil wrapped around it:

Flame some wire using a torch/hob/lighter... This removes any oils etc and helps reduce the springiness of the wire (Im using Nichrome 0.15 here, but 0.2mm Kanthal will also work - your choice):

Flame about an inch (2.5cm) of wick - this removes any contaminants (Holding it in tweezers or forceps):

Holding the wick against the hair-clip (or needle/pin) wrap the wire around it, leaving a tail about an inch (2.5cm) long:

Depending on your wire, you will need 4-6 wraps (counted from the top), evenly spread,  leaving a tail on each end (apologies for focus):

Place the coil assembly (with hair-clip/needle attached) in the slot, feeding the legs into the hole and out of the bottom:

Then pop the silicon cap on to hold the wick in place:

Bend one leg over the base, this will be the negative leg:

Insert the silicon grommet, keeping the unbent leg in the middle of it (this will be the positive) and bend that in the opposite direction. Then make sure both the legs are tightly pulled:

Keeping the coil legs taught, insert the centre pin:

Carefully trim the coil legs as short as possible with the nail clippers:

Turn the head the other way up, remove the silicon cap and check the coils are all evenly spaced and not touching the sides, adjust if needed using a toothpick or pointy thing:

Place another length of 2mm Silica wick on top of the coil (apologies for focus) This second wick is important to stop the coil shorting on the top post, it also helps to prevent juice coming up the mouthpiece:

Press the centre tube back into place above the two wicks, until it clicks into place:

Holding one side of the wick tightly, carefully slide out the hairpin or needle:

Trim the wick carefully, so it is short like the stock heads:

Almost done! The head should now look like this:

Fluff up the ends of the wick, this helps to prevent leakage, and also aids in wicking of juice:

Pop the silicon seal back on the head, and voilà! :

You can now measure the resistance in two ways before using this head, either by testing with a multimeter between the base pin and the side of the head, or by putting it into a BCC and using a mod with resistance test function.

I would never advise using an untested head on any mod.... as it may damage the battery.

If you wish to increase or decrease the resistance there are several options:

To lower the resistance, use fewer coils or thicker wire

To raise the resistance, use more coils or thinner wire

As always, any questions on a postcard, comments welcome and always get a grown-up to help with the scissors ;)

Hope this is of help to someone!
I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own :)

vapn

• Administrator
  • Tech Support
    • Crème de Vape
  • Liked: 2585
  • Likes Given: 1423
Re: Vapeonly BCC rebuild guide / thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
Very nicely done as usualy ghoti! Thanks for posting yet another great tutorial.

"Making Vaping a Breeze Since 2009"

barry_s11

• Liked: 260
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »
Wow, many thanks Ghoti.

I knew we could rely on you coming up with the definitive build instructions.

Now I'm off to try it out for myself :vroam:
Don't touch that, or you'll ... oh now look!

Carol_Scot

• Forum Host
  • NAME YOUR PV {{ HAPPY VAPING }}
  • Liked: 967
  • Likes Given: 3872
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »
Great tutorial ghoti!
I give it a go some day :)

Carol
BILLETBOX's V1.1  :) Dingo , iTaste V3  , Provari Mini V2 & Prive Tank

Skp574

• Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:18:48 AM »
Good job there. That's pretty much what I do with my eVods. I use the 2mm Ekowool and 5 wraps of 0.25 Kanthal which gives a 1.5 ohm coil. I don't use the loose wicks on top and have to say the flavour is better than the stock heads. This is my out and about vape. Pocket friendly on a 650mAh Ego battery, lasts me most of the working day on a single tank. Even dropped my nic level down to 12mg from 18mg which is good.

I've got a couple of Vapeonly BCCs just haven't got round to tweaking them yet.
Scott.

Mods: MMVapors Nanos, iStick 30w & 50w
Atties: KFL+ | KF4 | SQuape R

ghoti

• Forum Host
  • Twizzled Vaper
  • Liked: 823
  • Likes Given: 942
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 12:29:42 AM »
Good job there. That's pretty much what I do with my eVods. I use the 2mm Ekowool and 5 wraps of 0.25 Kanthal which gives a 1.5 ohm coil. I don't use the l
Good job there. That's pretty much what I do with my eVods. I use the 2mm Ekowool and 5 wraps of 0.25 Kanthal which gives a 1.5 ohm coil. I don't use the loose wicks on top and have to say the flavour is better than the stock heads. This is my out and about vape. Pocket friendly on a 650mAh Ego battery, lasts me most of the working day on a single tank. Even dropped my nic level down to 12mg from 18mg which is good.

There is a reason for the loose wick(s) on top...
1 it helps restrict juice flowing into the airway and prevent flooding
2 it helps protect against shorts against the top pole

Its possible to do without them... but in my experience over the last week, I've had better performance with a "flavour" wick added.
your Milage may vary ;)
Just remember to check for shorts! :)

I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own :)

Skp574

• Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 01:15:50 AM »
Good job there. That's pretty much what I do with my eVods. I use the 2mm Ekowool and 5 wraps of 0.25 Kanthal which gives a 1.5 ohm coil. I don't use the l

There is a reason for the loose wick(s) on top...
1 it helps restrict juice flowing into the airway and prevent flooding
2 it helps protect against shorts against the top pole

Its possible to do without them... but in my experience over the last week, I've had better performance with a "flavour" wick added.
your Milage may vary ;)
Just remember to check for shorts! :)

Yes I discovered on my second head rebuild what those loose wicks were for. I popped coil while trying to measure the resistance on my ProVari.

I'm sure it's me, but if I put in a loose wick, it constricts juice flow and I get dryer hits. As for shorts, once I've got the legs secure in the base of the head I make sure the coils are no where near the edges of the head when the top piece is put back on. I've done two like this now and getting a very good vape with Cigarrillos. A massive improvement from the stock 1.8ohm head.

It's worth trying Ekowool in them too. It seems to have a more neutral taste to twisted FG wick.
Scott.

Mods: MMVapors Nanos, iStick 30w & 50w
Atties: KFL+ | KF4 | SQuape R